17.8.06

Adios Mucmoca









I felt a bit melancholy leaving Mucmoca, partly because I knew I would probably never see these people again. We packed up early and headed down the valley back to the school to pick up the disposable cameras and drawing the students created to do the exchange with my school.

The students were very excited when I arrived and asked when they would get their developed photos. I spent some time in the classroom explaining how school is not in session right now because it is summer up in the northern hemisphere. While the teachers were organizing the drawings and trying to find the cameras the kids asked me questions about where I live and what we eat. They asked if we eat cuy (guinea pig) and I tried to explain that we have them as pets. The students displayed some of their handicrafts and I purchased a few items to take home and share with my students. Outside the school workers were busy making adobe bricks as they are building an addition to the school. Last week we had made arrangements with the driver who took us from Pitumarca to the school to pick us up today. He showed up promplty and I said my goodbyes. Ideally I would like to set up some sort of art/penpal exchange between the Larcomarca school and my school.

The drive back to Cusco was a bit frightening, somewhat like being in a video game dodging traffic, dogs and people. Arrived safely back to Edwin's and started planning for the next segment of my trip.

No comments: