4.8.06

School Visit





A full day of travel to get to the trailhead which leads to the weaver family in Mucmoca. At the base of the trailhead is a school where I spent a few hours visiting. The closest town to the school is Pitumarca, not many cars found here, so it took me awhile to arrange a ride from Pitumarca to the school.

The kids here walk or ride their bikes to school. Some kids have a 2 hour walk back home from school everyday climbing 2,000 feet. All kids where the same simple sandals and their feet look much older and worn than the rest of their bodies. Quechua is the students' first language and they have Spanish or Castillian classes as well. The school of Labraco houses preschool to the US equivalent of 6th grade. About 75 students attend this school from March to December.

I gave each class a disposable camera with instructions to take pictures of their homes, landscape, people, etc. My plan is to collect the cameras after my week with the weavers and mail the photos back to them in addition to displaying their photos at my school. In return I will have students at my school in the US take photos which we will mail to the kids of the Labraco school. I also asked the students to draw/paint a picture depicting their daily life with the idea of doing an art exchange with my students in the US. The students were excited to receive the art materials which I donated to the school.

No comments: